Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The ever growing Streisand army



Anyone who sees my collection of art dolls will immediately be confronted with the question somewhere along the line of "What is up with all the Streisand dolls?"...well I am glad you asked!


When I first started seriously making dolls the goal was to represent characters from movies and pop culture...naturally I was more inclined to make my favorite artists or people/movies/cartoons that inspired me as my first dolls. It's not a secret (anymore) how much Barbra Streisand fascinates me. As a kid I would hide my crush. Considering I grew up in a slightly rural neighborhood, it was not common for a little boy to be obsessed with the likes of Streisand but it happened and there you go! I would like to blame my mom but it was inevitable really. My brother and sister have the same mom and neither one of them shows the slightest interest in Barbra heh heh.


So with an artist that spans over 3 decades, how does one decide WHICH doll to make? My original idea for my Streisand doll was to make a wigged doll that I could make different wigs for and outfits for. Seems feasible right? When I get bored of 60's Streisand I would change her out of her sailor dress and bob and put her in a long blonde wig with bell bottom jeans and bring her into the 70's... Well those who know me well know I am a very hardcore procrastinator, and considering that the doll herself took over a month to finish when it should have only taken a day or so, pretty much made it clear that she was lucky to get made at all....wigs and outfits was REALLY pushing it....and besides I really did not see myself changing wigs and outfits anyhow. Along with being a procrastinator, I am also quite lazy :) ahem


SO Then I decided to make a list of all the Streisand looks I enjoyed. The beginning was considerably innocent and simple. Represent each era with one doll. Keep It Simple Stupid.


  1. 60's era...Early Barbra...Sailor dress, Bob. Done.

  2. 70's era...Boho Chic Barbra...Blonde long center parted hair, bell bottom jeans. Done.

  3. 80's era...Afro Babs with her curly fro and some misc. 80's outfit.
  4. 90's era...Sexy Barbra...Wavy blonde bob with short sweater dress and pantyhose

Well, once I started I realized things were not going as planned. I was still craving other dolls. And what about my favorite Streisand movie? On A Clear Day You Can See Forever....with modern contemporary outfits by Scaasi and period clothing by Cecil Beaton are you kidding me? How could I narrow that down???

I decided I would not narrow it down at all. I would have so many it would be like an "army"...the joke caught on....Hence the Streisand army was born and somehow along the lines it stopped being funny and became a little frightening :)
Now I am quite pleased to note that I finally got my first commission for Streisands. I was commissioned to make another blue sailor dress Babs, a white sailor top Babs and a Roller skating Fanny...as well as a Liza but this is a Babs post...sorry Liza :D

So I suppose we will see where all this leads :D I am excited :D And of course, adding new Streisands to the "to make" list every day :)













1 comment:

Glamoursurf said...

Love all your Streisand 'army'. Consider making one of her in the Rudi Gernreich dress she modeled for him. Lovely!