Monday, October 26, 2009

The Invasion of Little Edie!

So recently I took a commission to make Little Edie Beale from the cult documentary film "Grey Gardens". Well, I must admit I had invitations to view the film and I even borrowed the new Criterion version with "The Beales of Grey Gardens".....I couldn't sit through it...I seriously could NOT watch it...

So Fast forward...I get this commission...So I decided to do some research....resulting in hours of image hunting and then, true to form, in order to find the sould of the character of the doll I am making I need to experience them and get their vibe....so I decided to watch the movie....err or TRY to watch it again...

I started with the original...

Then I saw the HBO movie again (I had stayed home for to see the premiere and hated it when it first came out...)

Now I am unstoppable...I've seen the film I don't even know how many times. I recite the lines in my daily life and I am convinced I was either or both of them in a past life...or this one ahem..

The commission was completed...I fell in love with the doll...Here she is..the original






So OF COURSE I had to have my own.... and then it started..

Which Edie do I want? I mean of course the Revolutionary Costume of the Day is a natural choice...but why stop there?

So I made my Edie :D
...Then I made another...
...Then I made another...
...Then...That's right!

And finally, no not another Little Edie....I figured it was time for Big Edie Bouvier Beale OF COURSE! She happens to be one of my favorite dolls I've made in a while. I'm very happy with the resemblance! I can almost hear her.. "Edie!! Oh Edie!!" I'm pretty grateful to Sarah for commissioning me to do that first Edie....The documentary is amazing. I don't know why it took so long to get into it! I can not imagine not watching it a hundred more times....






















2 comments:

Glamoursurf said...

These are fantastic! Such creativity!

EmilyKate said...

These dolls are the best thing I have seen in I don't know how long. I am a big fan of Little Edie and I love all your glamorous iterations of her but I like your Big Edie doll the best, you are SPOT ON with her facial features, outfit, hair, she's just perfect, its uncanny.